The Blackmagic Design Production Camera offers great value at its price point for a 4-K camera. But it’s not fully equipped ‘out of the box’ to function in the field. Additional basic accessories are needed such as external power and audio mic preamps on top of those that tailor the camera to individual shooting needs. This add-on gear for our BMPC-4K includes accessories from vendors such as Zacuto, Viewfactor Studios, Juiced Link, Sennheiser, and SmallHD. Our rigging in the photo below includes the following additional accessories…
- Zacuto Next Gen Recoil-Cinema with VCT Universal Baseplate and Recoil Handle
- Zacuto Z-American Arm (vintage version still going strong)
- SmallHD DP-6 monitor with Canon power plate
- Viewfactor Studios Contineo Cage (CNC machined and fits the BMPC-4K like a glove)
- Viewfactor Studios Hinged Anton Bauer Battery Mount (mounted on rear rails)
BMPC-4K Accessories For Baseball B-Roll
In the above photo notice the follow focus gear from Zacuto. This type of gear, with the metal stops attached to each other (to lock the strap together), is currently being upstaged by new 3-D printed designs that slip onto your lens’ focus barrel. Notice in the photo below one of these 3-D printed follow focus gears on the Canon 24-105mm zoom lens. The gears are wider and the fit is nice and tight with no spin or movement when it’s in position on the focus barrel. We’ve really enjoyed these new 3-D printed follow focus gears and will be outfitting additional lenses with them. You can find more info about these gears at the Follow Focus Gears website. They offer gears for multiple lens manufacturers.
Stay tuned for more blog posts on additional BMPC-4K accessories.